Support For Individuals Affected

For the latest medical advice, visit


The Chancellor has made clear that our NHS will have the resources it needs, and that the government will do whatever it can to support individuals and businesses. 

Extension of Statutory Sick Pay

If you're too ill to work, or are self-isolating because of coronavirus, you can get Statutory Sick Pay for every day you are in isolation, though you must self-isolate for at least 4 days to be eligible. 

You cannot get less than the statutory amount of £94.25 a week - though you could get more if your company has a sick pay scheme. 

There are different rules for agricultural workers. Click here to find out more.


Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme

For the latest information please visit:


  • If you and your employer both agree, your employer might be able to keep you on the payroll if they’re unable to operate or have no work for you to do because of coronavirus. This is called being 'furloughed'. 

  • The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme has been extended until 30 April 2021.

  • Claims for furlough days in December 2020 must be made by 14 January 2021.

  • You can no longer submit claims for claim periods ending on or before 31 October 2020.

To use the scheme, the steps you’ll need to take are:

  1. Check if you can claim.

  2. Check which employees you can put on furlough.

  3. Steps to take before calculating your claim..

  4. Calculate how much you can claim.

  5. Claim for your employees’ wages.

  6. Report a payment in PAYE Real Time Information.


Universal Credit

  • If you are without a job, you may be able to claim Universal Credit to help with your living costs. Click here to find out more.

  • If you are already claiming Universal Credit, you will continue to get it as normal. If you are working, your payment may be adjusted if you can no longer work due to coronavirus. You should tell the Department for Work and Pensions the hours you are working in the usual way in your online account. 

  • For one year, the government has increased the standard allowance for a single Universial Credit Claimant (aged 25 and over) from £317.82 to £409.89 a month. 

  • You still need to tell the Department for Work and Pensions about changes to your circumstances. 


Support for the self-employed

Support is also available for the self-employed. Click here to find out more.